He’s in the news for being on the tail of cash-for-gold firms and Glenn Beck. What’s one part of the 45-year-old representative’s flare for political action? You guessed it — Weiner’s from Brooklyn.
Here are some fast facts on the New York native:
- Born on September 4, 1964 in New York City
- A member of Congress since 1999, he currently serves on the Energy and Commerce Committee, which oversees telecommunications, public health, air quality, environmental protection, energy policy, and interstate and foreign commerce.
- Also serves on the Judiciary Committee and Democratic leadership team
- Was a product of New York’s public education system, graduating from Brooklyn Technical High School in 1981 and SUNY Plattsburgh in 1985
- Worked for then-Congressman and current Senator Charles Schumer for six years, before winning a seat New York’s City Council
- When Schumer successfully earned a N.Y. Senate seat in 1998, Weiner ran for his vacated District 9 Congress seat and won. He still holds that post in 2010.