He was the part-time paint salesman from Mount Prospect, Ill. And now 24 year-old Lee DeWyze is the ninth winner of American Idol. What else do you need to know? But of course! Here come the Fast Facts …
- Born on April 2, 1986, DeWyze didn’t graduate from either of the high schools he attended.
- He started singing at a young age and was discovered by the musician Louis Svitek, who heard him playing guitar and singing at a house party in Chicago.
- DeWyze released two independent albums, So I’m Told in 2007 and Slumberland in 2010, both on Svitek’s label, WuLi Records.
- His blog states that he owns a British Bulldog named Capone, has four tattoos, is afraid of clowns and heights, loves playing Scrabble, and called home before each Idol performance.
- DeWyze’s Idol journey began at the Chicago auditions in June 2009, after encouragement from his friend Vincent Ferrara. His song was “Ain’t No Sunshine.” Just under a year later, the newly minted winner has a recording contract to his name.