After losing to Serena Williams in the fourth round of the 2010 Australian Open, Samantha Stosur got her revenge at Roland Garros on Wednesday.
ESPN details how Stosur knocked out the world’s No. 1 in a dramatic three-set quarterfinal match. Here are some fast facts on the 26-year-old Australian, who is seeking her first Grand Slam title.
- Born on March 30, 1984 in Brisbane, Australia
– After finishing 2009 ranked No. 32 on the WTA tour, she has improved 25 spots this year, resulting in a No. 7 ranking entering the 2010 French Open
– Turned pro in 1999, with her first set of events coming on the ITF circuit — an entry-level pathway to the WTA tour
– Winner of two grand slam titles in doubles (2005 U.S. Open and 2006 French Open) and two in mixed doubles (2005 Australian Open and 2008 Wimbledon)
– Has played in 27 career Grand Slam tournaments, with her best performances coming the past two years at Roland Garros; she made the semifinals in 2009