The New York native will become the 112th overall and fourth female Supreme Court Justice in United States history when she is sworn in on Saturday. But despite the convincing confirmation vote, not every Senator was convinced of Kagan’s ability to serve.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Photos: Balloons Take Flight
- The Face of a Criminal As He Gets Older — And More Insane
- The 11 Most Memorable Selfies of 2013
- Portrait of the Baby as a Young Napper: Artist Creates Magical Snapshots Imagining Her Son’s Dreams
- Intense Rains Cause Deadly Flash Floods in Northern Colorado