Former President Jimmy Carter’s ability to spring a Boston man from the grips of the reclusive North Korean government may have seemed like a lofty feat, but it is hardly the first. Here’s a list of some of the most crafty at winning freedom for the repressed.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- Up in the Air: Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots