Religious symbols are, next to fast-food logos, generally regarded as the most universal symbols we have — which means that poking fun at them opens artists up to a potential world of feedback and backlash.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots
- PHOTOS: Bulletproof Fashion — for Kids