So Lou Reed and Metallica have teamed up to create an album. Wait, it gets weirder.
The artists have recorded a series of songs that Reed wrote for a German theater group’s production of 19th century playwright Frank Wedekind’s so-called Lulu plays. The first single off the resulting album, Lulu, features meandering lyrics set over a toned down, fuzzed out Metallica in the background. Here are my thoughts as I listened to it.
“The View” by Lou Reed & Metallica
– Wait, this song is called “The View?”
– I hope this song is about Lou Reed and Metallica going on The View.
– OK, apparently it’s actually about magnets.
– “I attract you and repel you.” Wow.
– “I am the root!” “I am the progress!” “I am a table!” I’m pretty sure a homeless man shouted some these lyrics at me last week.
– You know, this song would be so much better if it referenced Elisabeth Hasselbeck.