Every year since 1875, horse-racing fans have attended the Kentucky Derby at Louisville’s Churchill Downs racetrack to watch the annual race dubbed “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.” But at times, the extravagant hats worn by attendees can seem like the—real— attraction of the yearly event. Herewith, TIME looks at the craziest hats from the 2012 Kentucky Derby.
More Photography from Time
- America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places
- A Night to Remember: New York Puppy Prom 2013
- Wild at Art: Astonishing Paintings, Sculptures, and Photographs by Animal Artists
- Dogs Rescued from Oklahoma Tornado Find Shelter in Boca Raton
- Words with Foes: Spelling Bee Contestants Put on Their Game Faces
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.