Every year since 1875, horse-racing fans have attended the Kentucky Derby at Louisville’s Churchill Downs racetrack to watch the annual race dubbed “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.” But at times, the extravagant hats worn by attendees can seem like the—real— attraction of the yearly event. Herewith, TIME looks at the craziest hats from the 2012 Kentucky Derby.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- Up in the Air: Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots