In a June 22 contest some critics deemed “macabre,” fourteen Israeli Holocaust survivors between the ages of 74 and 97 competed for the title of “Miss Holocaust Survivor.” The contestants shared stories of survival and community involvement as part of the competition. Physical appearance was only about 10 percent of the deciding criteria. For more on bizarre beauty pageants, visit TIME’s photo gallery.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Photos: Balloons Take Flight
- The Face of a Criminal As He Gets Older — And More Insane
- The 11 Most Memorable Selfies of 2013
- Portrait of the Baby as a Young Napper: Artist Creates Magical Snapshots Imagining Her Son’s Dreams
- Intense Rains Cause Deadly Flash Floods in Northern Colorado