In a June 22 contest some critics deemed “macabre,” fourteen Israeli Holocaust survivors between the ages of 74 and 97 competed for the title of “Miss Holocaust Survivor.” The contestants shared stories of survival and community involvement as part of the competition. Physical appearance was only about 10 percent of the deciding criteria. For more on bizarre beauty pageants, visit TIME’s photo gallery.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- Up in the Air: Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots