In 1947 Edwin Land, the visionary founder of Polaroid, unveiled the world’s first instant camera — a triumph of innovation that would go on to revolutionize photography. Land’s invention helped democratize photography for the everyday hobbyist and tourist. But as Christopher Bonanos documents in his new book ‘Instant: The Story of Polaroid’, they also captured the imagination of some of the 20th century’s most important artists. Here’s a look at a few of the most notable.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- Up in the Air: Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots