The annual Nikon International Small World Competition has been giving prizes for photomicrography — images captured through a microscope — since 1975. And some of these pictures, of insects, spiders and other creepy-crawlies — are downright scary. Here’s a selection of some of the best.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- Up in the Air: Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots