Did you unfriend someone on Facebook this weekend? If not, you should have, according to Jimmy Kimmel, who declared Nov. 17 National Unfriend Day two years ago. “Most people have somewhere between four and 30 friends in real life, but Facebook friends can go into the thousands,” Kimmel said on his show last week. “It’s time to get rid of them.”
So who to drop? Kimmel and his team had a few suggestions.
1) “The Overly Political Friend” — Get over it folks: the presidential election is so two weeks ago. “Everything this person posts is angry and politically oriented,” Kimmel noted, whether it’s links to inflammatory articles or attempts to interject politics into innocuous comments. (Example: “Lakers fired coach Mike Brown — nice work on unemployment Obama!”)
2) “The Instagramer” — An ardent cell phone picture-snapper, this person has an unquenchable desire to photograph his lunch, dinner, late-night snack, after-work beer — anything you name it — with the popular photo app. In fact the only thing this person likes taking photos of more than food is, inexplicably, his or her feet. Unfriend.
3) “The Super Model” — “This is the girl who posts lots of candid pictures of herself that aren’t candid at all,” Kimmel said — whether she is standing in line at the DMV or walking to a post office. “We get it, you’re hot,” Kimmel said. But no matter how hot she is, it’s time to unfriend.
4) “The Oversharer” — If you have a friend who documents his life as if updating a live blog, you would know what he ate for breakfast (Lucky Charms), what kind of latte he drinks (eggnog) and how much of the latte he’d drunk by 3:40 p.m. (“I have five sips left”). There are some things we really don’t have to know.
5) “The Proud Parent” — This beaming new mother cannot contain her excitement by sharing every detail and photo of her son’s life. She would remind you that little Skyler just smeared a bowl of peas on his face, and moments later, vomited it all over himself.
So who did you unfriend on National Unfriend Day? Let us know in the comments, and check out some other viewers’ opinions in this followup video, “Hey Jimmy, Meet My Best Unfriend.”