China’s northernmost major city is a built-up metropolis home to more than 10 million people. But each winter since 1985, the focus in Harbin has turned to the seasonal constructions of the Ice and Snow Festival. Sculptors from across the world descend on the frozen city to create elaborate structures including palaces and castles with dazzling lights and other amenities — some even feature working escalators.
More Photography from Time
- A Night to Remember: New York Puppy Prom 2013
- Wild at Art: Astonishing Paintings, Sculptures, and Photographs by Animal Artists
- Dogs Rescued from Oklahoma Tornado Find Shelter in Boca Raton
- Words with Foes: Spelling Bee Contestants Put on Their Game Faces
- 20 Timeless Photos That Made Our Week
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.