China’s northernmost major city is a built-up metropolis home to more than 10 million people. But each winter since 1985, the focus in Harbin has turned to the seasonal constructions of the Ice and Snow Festival. Sculptors from across the world descend on the frozen city to create elaborate structures including palaces and castles with dazzling lights and other amenities — some even feature working escalators.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Photos: Balloons Take Flight
- The Face of a Criminal As He Gets Older — And More Insane
- The 11 Most Memorable Selfies of 2013
- Portrait of the Baby as a Young Napper: Artist Creates Magical Snapshots Imagining Her Son’s Dreams
- Intense Rains Cause Deadly Flash Floods in Northern Colorado