The city’s largest fire in seven years took nearly 200 firefighters about two hours to extinguish as the blaze ripped through an abandoned warehouse on the city’s South Side Tuesday night. Firefighters had to contend with treacherous conditions and frozen equipment as they battled the flames amid the frigid 10-degree weather.
More Photography from Time
- 20 Timeless Photos That Made Our Week
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots