For 364 days out of the year, White Castle is your typical fast-food joint. But on February 14th , all that changes: all over America, White Castle restaurants turn into a haven for lovebirds – with red tablecloths, candles, and musical entertainment. (And yes, you’ll need to make a reservation.) In New York alone, more than 500 couples opted to make White Castle their Valentine’s Day destination. TIME’s Amy Lombard went along to find out what the rest of us missed.
More Photography from Time
- Prince Harry Returns to the U.S.
- Up in the Air: Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day
- The Empire State Building: A City Icon Turns 82 Amid Battle to Go Public
- Behind the Curtain: An Open Audition for the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall
- PHOTOS: U.S. Newspapers Lead with Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brushes With the Law … in Mug Shots