For 364 days out of the year, White Castle is your typical fast-food joint. But on February 14th , all that changes: all over America, White Castle restaurants turn into a haven for lovebirds – with red tablecloths, candles, and musical entertainment. (And yes, you’ll need to make a reservation.) In New York alone, more than 500 couples opted to make White Castle their Valentine’s Day destination. TIME’s Amy Lombard went along to find out what the rest of us missed.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Photos: Balloons Take Flight
- The 11 Most Memorable Selfies of 2013
- Portrait of the Baby as a Young Napper: Artist Creates Magical Snapshots Imagining Her Son’s Dreams
- Intense Rains Cause Deadly Flash Floods in Northern Colorado
- Guinness World Records 2014: Wackiest Highlights