Before there was Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United, there was Bob Paisley’s Liverpool. As manager of Liverpool—United’s bitter northwest rival—Paisely won an unprecedented 20 trophies between 1974 and 1983. His career has been a hard act to follow for subsequent Liverpool top coaches, but Paisley himself inherited his post from Liverpool legend Bill Shankly, the architect of theclub’s glorious rise through the 1960s and 1970s and a man known for his philosophical wit. “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death,” Shankly is reported to have said. “I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.” Paisley would probably agree.
- How Do You Take Over for a Legend?
- Tim Cook / Steve Jobs
- Joe Girardi / Joe Torre
- Coco Chanel / Karl Lagerfeld
- Bob Paisley / Bill Shankly
- Sammy Hagar / David Lee Roth
- Gene Bartow / John Wooden
- Jay Leno / Johnny Carson
- Tim Floyd / Phil Jackson
- Lyndon B. Johnson / John F. Kennedy, Jr.
- Drew Carey / Bob Barker
- Ben Bernanke / Alan Greenspan
- George Seifert / Bill Walsh
- Jennifer Lopez / Simon Cowell
- Pope Benedict XVI / Pope John Paul II