What makes us grin, smile, belly-laugh? There are myriad triggers, of course, ranging from the sweet and the lighthearted to the dark and (occasionally) the deeply twisted. Here, as a visual antidote to the seemingly endless litany of bad news we’ve all endured over the past several months, TIME’s photo editors offer a selection of iconic, sunny, jubilant pictures from across the decades.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Photos: Balloons Take Flight
- The Face of a Criminal As He Gets Older — And More Insane
- The 11 Most Memorable Selfies of 2013
- Portrait of the Baby as a Young Napper: Artist Creates Magical Snapshots Imagining Her Son’s Dreams
- Intense Rains Cause Deadly Flash Floods in Northern Colorado