Graphic Photos Drive Trayvon Martin’s Parents From Courtroom

  • Share
  • Read Later
Gary W. Green / Pool / REUTERS

George Zimmerman enters the courtroom for his trial in Seminole circuit court in Sanford, Fla. on June 25, 2013.

On Tuesday, jurors were shown images of shooting victim Trayvon Martin’s body — taken just moments after his death — in the second day of court proceedings in the second-degree-murder trial of George Zimmerman. The photographs drove Martin’s parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, from the courtroom.

One photograph showed the 17-year-old sprawled on the ground covered by a plastic bag. Other images showed the gunshot wound Martin suffered.

(MORE: Trayvon Martin Case: The Prosecution Opens)

In testimony, Sergeant Anthony Raimondo, the Sanford, Fla., policeman who initially responded to the shooting, said that after arriving at the gated community where the incident took place, he found Martin on the ground without a pulse and tried to resuscitate him.

Raimondo asked for plastic to try to seal Martin’s exit wound, but found none and tried to save his life. “I breathed for Mr. Martin — or I tried to,”  Raimondo said. When emergency medical workers arrived, they hooked up an EKG machine to him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Testimony Tuesday focused on describing the responsibilities of neighborhood-watch volunteers and how Zimmerman approached his position.

Wendy Dorival, who was a police-department volunteer program manager in 2012, testified to prosecutors that she met Zimmerman, 29, at a neighborhood-watch presentation she held. She instructed that 911 was to be called if volunteers spot a suspicious person and that they were never to engage in pursuit.

(MORE: Trayvon Martin Case: The Defense Opens)

Donald O’Brien, president of the homeowners association of Retreat at Twin Lakes, where the shooting took place and where Zimmerman lived, said, “Since Day One at the neighborhood-watch meetings, we said, ‘Do not get close to someone. Stay a safe distance, call 911 and let the police handle it.’”

In April, Martin’s parents settled a wrongful-death claim with the homeowners association for an undisclosed amount, according to the Orlando Sentinel.