School Shut Down and Kids Hospitalized After 6th Grade Boys Spray Too Much Axe

It's not funny, guys. People were hospitalized.

  • Share
  • Read Later
Axe

It is hardly news that pre-pubescent boys have no idea how to properly administer Axe body spray.

It is news when said inappropriate Axe use causes a school-wide shutdown.

Eight students were hospitalized, and two others were taken to their own doctors, after someone released the especially pungent body spray in a sixth grade classroom at 1 p.m. Emergency crews rushed to Medgar Evers College Preparatory School in Brooklyn to investigate the “hazardous” smell.

This isn’t the first time Axe body spray has terrorized educational facilities.

A Pennsylvania high school had to ban the spray in March after a student was hospitalized after exposure to its fumes. A year earlier, Connecticut high school officials said that a fire alarm went off after a student’s “overabundance” of Axe spraying in a locker room.

If you insist on smelling like a middle school cafeteria, maybe stick to Axe shower gel from now on.

29 comments
AntoinetteNunez
AntoinetteNunez

It's amazing how many sensitive ass people we have in this world and then in turn they have sensitive children. Agree should not be sprayed in class or enclose rooms. Boys do this cause they may have athletics 1st period and no time to shower and don't want to smell bad . I can't stand in the work place all the scented lotions that my co workers use all day but I deal with it. This world is so filled with whiners .

Gasman
Gasman

If a little spray gets guys female attention, then A WHOLE LOT must get guys action. Ah, a young man's illogic...

mrbomb13
mrbomb13

Okay, "over-use of Axe" is 'child's play' compared to some of the other "scandals" I've seen as a public school teacher:

1) Students bombarding/rubbing classroom hand sanitizer all over each other out of spite.

2) Students volleying textbooks/desks at each other for the same reason.

3) Students outbursting/threatening acts of violence when their cell phone is confiscated.

4) Students whipping each other with those wallet chains (and even attempting to whip the teacher).

Yes, there hardly any shame in behaving like an uncivilized jacka** in class anymore...

MikeSlough
MikeSlough

O really its a true story ... i can;t believe how it possible in a school it may be understandable if you wrote it happens in Dubai nurseries!!! 

bearsareawsome123
bearsareawsome123

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG I CANT JUST AHAHAHA THIS IS TOTALLY FUNNY

SandeeFaasseRusso
SandeeFaasseRusso

I work at a school where the nurse douses herself with the worst smelling perfume ever. I'm allergic and whenever she walks into the room I have to leave. We always kid if a child wants to go home early all they have to do is go into the nurses office tell her they don't feel and they will get sick for real.

bijutoha
bijutoha

Is it true ? you said "This isn’t the first time Axe body spray has terrorized educational facilities" So my question is...How is this possible to sanction Axe again? Because your rules are so strong then other countries.



RobbKerr
RobbKerr

They say it isn't funny, but I lol'd pretty good... 

LisaSchadowCrowder
LisaSchadowCrowder

My son used this last week and it sent me into a coughing fit. I can only imagine if a classroom full of boys used it. Gag!


FelixJasonBranzuela
FelixJasonBranzuela

Wow. We gotta give it to these boys. They're overflowing with manliness that they've managed to shut down an entire school with cheap cologne.

BobHH
BobHH

Bunch of Axe Holes if you ask me.

phoenician88
phoenician88

Inadequate HVAC in the school buildings in question should be examined.  

Even recently constructed buildings can be under spec.  And if there is not sufficient airflow to handle noxious vapors in locker rooms, what are the classroom ventilation conditions?  

A recently built school in Scottsdale, AZ is so poorly designed that the bathrooms are cooler than the practically windowless classrooms and narrow hallways, and the CO2 concentrations in classrooms border on the let's all take a nap level.  Equally so just because a building might have been good enough during the Hoover or Eisenhower administrations doesn't mean it is still OK for use today especially when OVERCROWDING is a factor.

GeorgeSchwarz
GeorgeSchwarz

Would somebody please at least so some reporting? What flavors was it?

edcstillo
edcstillo

60% of the time, it works every time.

Yoshi
Yoshi

Oh please. Cologne? Hospitalized? Really? Were they drinking it? If not, what's the "treatment"?

JamesMarshall
JamesMarshall

@RobbKerrIt most certainly is NOT funny.  People are made genuinely sick by overuse of fragrance.

herpes604
herpes604

@FelixJasonBranzuela Are you deliberately trying to be stupid? They're 6th graders, they obviously weren't trying to "overflow with manliness".. They were being 13 spraying their axe at each other not knowing it could harm you.

LoriMaxey
LoriMaxey

@Yoshi (No clue where my original comment went to)


The treatment for over exposure to this horrible air pollutant is a breathing treatment and some times anti histamine like Benadryl. How do I know? Because I am  HIGHLY allergic to this garbage and my throat closes off and coughing fits that render my lungs incapable of working properly so that my rescue inhaler is rendered useless. I have visited the ER or Urgent Care more than once because of someone needing to smell like a hooker...

JessicaJones
JessicaJones

@Yoshi They could have breathed it in, the classroom was probably a small, confined space and too much was sprayed. I have asthma and choke up when anything like that is sprayed near me. It could have also gotten in their eyes.

JDS
JDS

@Yoshi I have a feeling something like an entire can was probably discharged into a small space, or possibly directly into students eyes. If you've never been 'gassed' by Axe before, it's akin to pepperspray in high concentrations.

Sounds ridiculous? Think back to when you were in middle school. Kids are stupid and do stupid things.

Yoshi
Yoshi

@LoriMaxey @Yoshi Thanks, Lori. THAT makes sense. I still don't see shutting down the whole school over this.

Yoshi
Yoshi

@JDS @Yoshi I was just reminded that these kids may have been trying to inhale the stuff for a high...

Makes about as much sense as anything the (non) facts have supplied.

willamettejosh
willamettejosh

@Yoshi @LoriMaxey It is overkill, but imagine all the crazy over protective parents that would rage because the school wasn't shutdown/evacuated. They'd likely try to sue or some bs for "needlessly exposing their child to dangerous fumes" or something. 
When I was in 5th or 6th grade we evacuated our school and like 10 kids went to the hospital. It was all over some chemical spray fumes or something from the art room. It was an all day recess for everyone else basically. not so bad!