Get a Tan With Your Tarantino: Indie Video Stores Adding Tanning Beds

  • Share
  • Read Later

Getty Images

After you pick up your Season 1 Jersey Shore DVD, you can get Snooki-level orange on your way out.

More than 3,500 independently-owned video rental stores have included tanning services. And it’s a solid business strategy: a store with six tanning beds can expect 40 percent of its revenue to come from tanning, and the other 60 percent to come from actually renting movies. Plus, peak tanning hours are different from peak renting hours, keeping stores busy constantly.

It’s a bleak time for mom-and-pop movie rental shops, with Netflix and Redbox taking over the market. So if getting a tan can go hand in hand with picking up a DVD or two, then it’s an innovative way to stay in business. (via The Hollywood Reporter)