So, This is Strange: TV Left Outside Starts Fire

  • Share
  • Read Later

Joe Raedle / Getty Images

Add this to your laundry list of do’s and don’ts: Better not leave a TV out in the sun. (via AP)

At some point Monday, a big-screen television was left outside an apartment building in Springfield, Missouri, and somehow that decision resulted in a fire that caused minor damage to the apartment complex. Thankfully, an outdoor sprinkler system installed on a patio quickly doused the blaze.

In the days since, fire experts have been pondering just how a TV could start a fire. Assistant Fire Chief Randy Villines described the fire as “bizarre “ to the Associated Press, and speculated that what happened was that various mirrors inside the projection TV caused sunlight to ricochet and become concentrated. Hence the spark, and the fire.

NewsFeed has always been wary of mirrors. Looks like they’ve won this round.

More at NewsFeed: We Answer the 10 ‘Unanswerable’ Questions