Louis XIV would have been impressed with this wedding. And that’s a good thing, because some of the events in the six-day extravaganza took place at Louis’ Palace of Versailles. When businessman and philanthropist Amit Bhatia married Vanisha Mittal in 2004, 1,000 guests from all over the world received a 20-page silver invitation. They stayed in 5-star hotels; they watched fireworks shot over the Eiffel Tower; they listened to Kylie Minogue while eating a reported 100 dishes from a top chef. The wine alone was reported to cost more than $1.5 million. The couple didn’t release an official cost for the whole shebang, but estimates range from $60 million to $78 million. Even the low end of that range is enough to declare the Bhatia-Mittal nuptials one of the most expensive weddings in modern history.
The 10 Most Lavish Weddings Ever
How does Kate and William's fairytale wedding stack up against some of the most extravagant nuptials in recent history?
Vanisha Mittal & Amit Bhatia
Lap of Luxury
- Kate Middleton & Prince William
- Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier of Monaco
- Diana Spencer & Prince Charles
- Elizabeth Taylor & Larry Fortensky
- Liza Minnelli & David Gest
- Heather Mills & Paul McCartney
- Vanisha Mittal & Amit Bhatia
- Katie Holmes & Tom Cruise
- Chelsea Clinton & Marc Mezvinsky
- Kim Kardashian & Kris Humphries