Usher’s 11-Year-Old Stepson Declared Brain Dead after Jet Ski Accident

Usher has flown to an Atlanta hospital to be with Kyle Glover, who remains unresponsive after a boating accident on Georgia's Lake Lanier.

  • Share
  • Read Later
REUTERS/Fred Prouser

Usher, seen here carrying Kyle Glover, with Tameka Foster and family members at the 2008 Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Awards.

Kyle Glover, the 11-year-old son of Usher’s estranged wife Tameka Foster, has been declared brain dead after being struck by a jet ski. He was reportedly riding on an inner tube behind a boat on Georgia’s Lake Lanier when the accident occurred.

After being pulled from the water, Kyle was found to be unresponsive and was airlifted to Egelston Hospital, in Atlanta.

According to TMZ, he “has not experienced any brain activity since he was admitted to the hospital.”

TMZ also reports that a decision has not yet been made about taking Kyle off life support. A 15-year-old girl riding with Kyle was also struck by the jet ski. She suffered a broken arm and a cut on her head.

Despite the nasty custody fight which accompanied the end of Usher’s two-year marriage to Foster in 2009, the R&B singer offered to charter a private jet for his ex-wife to be with her son. She has not yet left her son’s side at the hospital.

Usher is reported to be very close to Foster’s sons and has since joined the family at the hospital. Kyle’s father is Ryan Glover, an Atlanta clothier. He and Foster have an older son, also named Ryan. (Usher and Foster had two sons together, four-year old Usher Raymond V and three-year-old Naviyd Ely Raymond)

An investigation in the accident has been launched by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Robin Hill, a representative for the Department’s Wildlife Resources Division, told TMZ the department’s Critical Incident Response Team will use special computer programs to ascertain the speed of both boats when Kyle was struck.

Hill added that rangers are in contact with the driver of the jet ski, a 38-year-old man.

After the investigation is complete, a recommendation will be made to the district attorney, who will make a decision whether to or not to formally make a charge.