Last Fall, the Iglesia ni Cristo Church, founded in the Philippines in 1914, purchased the tiny town of Scenic, South Dakota for $800,000. While the church has built ornate temples across Asia, Hawaii and California, it’s new to South Dakota and remains mum about its plans for the 46-acre town, which includes a post office, a convenience store, a saloon, a museum and two jails. Individuals involved in the purchase have signed non-disclosure agreements, according to the Rapid City Journal, though Coldwell Banker Realtor Dave Olsen told the Journal that the church has hired private security guards and restored power and telephone lines to the town.
Town You Purchased on eBay
- 1. Rename it for Your Chain of “Breastaurants”
- 2. Create a Religious Enclave—and Be Very, Very Mysterious About it
- 3. Sell Your Imported Wares…Albeit from the Middle of Nowhere
- 4. Develop a Blockbuster Tourist Destination
- 5. Create a Colony of Do-Gooders Dedicated to Eradicating Disease, Malnutrition and Poverty
- 6. Get Rid of It—Before It Ruins Your Life