A symbol of Edith Wharton’s New York, gas street lamps began lighting the way for New Yorkers in 1823 when the city granted the New York Gas Light Company permission to illuminate lower Manhattan. By the end of the century, some areas of the city began replacing the gas with bright electric lamps—the theater district was so bright that it became known as the Great White Way. Today, only one original gas lamp remains in Manhattan—on Patchin Place, a cul-de-sac in Greenwich Village where E.E. Cummings, Theodore Dreiser, and Djuna Barnes once lived. Alas, it has a light bulb.