Every year since 1875, horse-racing fans have attended the Kentucky Derby at Louisville’s Churchill Downs racetrack to watch the annual race dubbed “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.” But at times, the extravagant hats worn by attendees can seem like the—real— attraction of the yearly event. Herewith, TIME looks at the craziest hats from the 2012 Kentucky Derby.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Photos: Balloons Take Flight
- The Face of a Criminal As He Gets Older — And More Insane
- The 11 Most Memorable Selfies of 2013
- Portrait of the Baby as a Young Napper: Artist Creates Magical Snapshots Imagining Her Son’s Dreams
- Intense Rains Cause Deadly Flash Floods in Northern Colorado