Fourteen-year-old Ryan Hart definitely got more than he bargained for when he got his roast-beef sandwich at Arby’s last Friday.
The Jackson, Mich., resident had almost finished his meal when he bit into something … different.
“I was like, ‘That gots to be a finger,'” he told Michigan Live. “I was about to puke … It was just nasty.”
No kidding. Ryan described what turned out to be an inch-long fingertip, complete with finger pad and first knuckle, as “rubbery.”
(LIST: Top 10 Outrageous Legal Battles)
Unlike the infamous Wendy’s chili hoax, this grotesque incident appears to be the real deal. Jackson police and the county’s health department confirmed that an employee lost part of her finger on a meat slicer at the restaurant.
Surprisingly, the location did not shut down following the episode, a fact that has raised the ire of Ryan’s mother.
“Somebody loses a finger, and you keep sending food out the window?” she said, adding that Ryan “hasn’t been able to sleep very good. He’s really worried lately, and he doesn’t want to catch anything.”
Though the restaurant did stop food production for full sanitization, she has contacted a lawyer.
For its part, the chain issued a statement addressing the snafu.
“Arby’s wants to reassure customers that we are committed to providing quality food in a safe and healthy environment,” wrote John Gray, vice president for corporate communication for Arby’s Restaurant Group. “We are deeply concerned and apologetic to the guest involved in this unfortunate incident.”
PHOTOS: Top 5 Worst Fast-Food Sandwiches