Man Dies After Swallowing $54,000 Worth of Meth He Thought Was a Health Drink

Don't drink anything sent to you in the mail.

  • Share
  • Read Later
Tony Cordoza
Tony Cordoza / Getty Images

Romano Dias only thought he was drinking a harmless health drink, but after swallowing it and complaining it was “awful” and that it led to an irritated throat, it turned out to be his last swig.

The 55-year-old who lived in Cambridgeshire, U.K., consumed what he thought was a fruit beverage, but in reality it was $54,000 of pure crystal methamphetamine, Cambridge News reported. The deadly bottle was delivered to his daughter Katee’s home three years ago, with the right address but the wrong name on the package. She kept it, believing someone would come to claim it. Six months passed and she finally opened the parcel, finding the bottles, which she gave to her father some undetermined time later.

Dias’ partner Debra  told authorities that he opened the bottle, whose label led him to believe what he was drinking was safe, and removed a cork that he found under the cap. He took a drink and immediately complained of the taste and said his throat was burning. He then became violently ill, saying “I am in trouble here. I am dying, I am dead.” He was dead shortly afterward.

Cambridgeshire Detective Inspector Ian Simmons said he believes the package was intended for a drug dealer and that the delivery may have been an attempt to introduce the drug into that part of Britain, where it is rarely seen.

Local medical examiners say they had considered filing unlawful killing charges, but with no evidence that the intended target was Dias, the death was determined to be accidental.

[Cambridge News]

13 comments
ShawnSwigart
ShawnSwigart

who in the heck drinks 3 year old sports drink

discobell
discobell

The cork under the cap would have put me off.


docleo2001
docleo2001

This is really tragic but so avoidable.  So many inexplicable things had to happen for this to occur.  There has to be more to the story than this.

Openminded1
Openminded1

The stuff was 3 years old, who other then a dummy would drink from a bottle of unknown stuff sitting around for 3 years, other then wine what moron would do that?

HallKyle
HallKyle

With apologies to Shakespeare, "there's something rotten in Cambridgeshire".

 

The police are happy with a closed case, as they've "investigated" and determined that ...

"drug dealers deliberately sent the package out blindly to a random address not knowing who would get it but hoping that they could introduce meth into an area where there wasn't much meth, in order to stimulate sales there."


Uhh, really?   Dealers sent out, what, 1,000 quid of meth?   5,000 quid of meth? ... blind, to just some "random" address?

That's your "investigation-conclusion-case closed"?   Ya think so?

And the daughter just ... "held onto the package for 6 months, thinking that maybe someone might stop by one day and say, 'Hey, did you happen to get a package for me?' "    It never occurred to the daughter, or the father (once he found out), to go to the Royal Post and say ...

"Hey, this package seems mis-delivered; we never ordered it, we have no idea what the stuff is inside; could you return it to Sender or otherwise handle it? ...

... Oh?   There's no return address?  Oh?   The return address is fake and non-existent?   Then that's even more reason for the Royal Post to look into this delivery, could you please get your postal inspectors to look into this and handle this?   In any case, the package was mis-delivered and is not ours."

NOPE.   The family hung onto the package for months, just to be "helpful" to whomever the intended recipient was, "just in case" he showed up at their door.

So the daughter's not a druggie?    And she's not getting banged by some local hoodie-thug drug-dealer?    Or the father's not a drug-dealer?    All just a "big coincidence" and "big mistake"?      YEAH, RIGHT.

zeustiak
zeustiak

You take a swig and within a minute or two, know you are about to die?  I can only imagine how hard a whole mouth full of pure meth would hit your body in those few minutes.  

His only chance would have been to immediately begin inducing vomiting, and even that probably would have been a slim chance at living.  

jimmyharpoon
jimmyharpoon

This is a very sorrowful story. Please do not criticize this man, his wife and daughter have just experienced a completely unforseeable trauma. Have some compassion.

jjohn3024
jjohn3024

read between the lines, they would have looked just like a sealed retail product to avoid suspicion. still wouldn't drink it though without knowing the sender.

splash
splash

i guess that there wasn't a return address. this guy must love to live dangerously if he will drink from an unlabeled package from an anonymous sender

rowarho3
rowarho3

He actually took a swig....WOW!

victoria123
victoria123

That is horrible however, I am not sure that I would give my father bottles that just appeared on my doorstep in today's world you never know what it could be.