When heavy-metal rockers Van Halen debuted in 1978, rock critic Robert Christgau wrote that the band belonged not in a bar, but an aircraft carrier. It wasn’t just Van Halen’s sound that was larger than life, however: The personalities in the band were, shall we say, outsized. Discord eventually led to front-man David Lee Roth’s replacement by Sammy Hagar, making it one of the few times a platinum-selling band has successfully survived the loss of its most visible member.
- How Do You Take Over for a Legend?
- Tim Cook / Steve Jobs
- Joe Girardi / Joe Torre
- Coco Chanel / Karl Lagerfeld
- Bob Paisley / Bill Shankly
- Sammy Hagar / David Lee Roth
- Gene Bartow / John Wooden
- Jay Leno / Johnny Carson
- Tim Floyd / Phil Jackson
- Lyndon B. Johnson / John F. Kennedy, Jr.
- Drew Carey / Bob Barker
- Ben Bernanke / Alan Greenspan
- George Seifert / Bill Walsh
- Jennifer Lopez / Simon Cowell
- Pope Benedict XVI / Pope John Paul II