When Doug Guller, CEO of ATX Brands, discovered the abandoned Texas hamlet of Bankersmith on Craigslist, he didn’t just see a dilapidated former railroad town. He saw the next frontier for his hospitality business. Guller is renaming the town Bikinis, after his Austin-based chain of “sports breastaurants,” which now has more than 10 locations. “There can’t be a better way to put Bikinis on the map… Literally,” Guller said in a press release quoted by the International Business Times. Bankersmith was founded in 1913 when a railroad ran through the region. At its apogee in the 1920s, it had a population of 50. After WWII, the population hovered around 20, according to the town’s website, and continued to decline. By fall 2012, Guller plans to remake the two-acre, one-building town as a tourist and event destination. “We want it to be a big playground,” Guller told Eater Austin.
Town You Purchased on eBay
- 1. Rename it for Your Chain of “Breastaurants”
- 2. Create a Religious Enclave—and Be Very, Very Mysterious About it
- 3. Sell Your Imported Wares…Albeit from the Middle of Nowhere
- 4. Develop a Blockbuster Tourist Destination
- 5. Create a Colony of Do-Gooders Dedicated to Eradicating Disease, Malnutrition and Poverty
- 6. Get Rid of It—Before It Ruins Your Life